Sunday, September 9, 2007

The Learning Process (Phase One)

http://www.planebuzz.com/Picasso-breastfeeding.gifBreastfeeding Mother (Pablo Picasso)
“There are three reasons for breast-feeding: the milk is always at the right temperature; it comes in attractive containers; and the cat can't get it.” - Irena Chalmers
Brad and I finished our first two classes in a series of childbirth classes and boy do we have a lot to learn. In our Newborn Care class, we learned the basics of holding, feeding, bathing, diapering, and basically catering to every newborn need. What I am looking forward too is holding Maya, holding her close to my chest and feeling her little heart beating. In the Breastfeeding class, we learned the different techniques of feeding, along with the many benefits that breastfeeding has over formula feeding. Besides the nutritional value, the emotional benefits that Maya and I will share are indescribable. I pray that Maya responds to my want to feed her. My head tells me to be strong about the possibility that Maya will not want to feed from me, but my heart is a whole different story.
The key phrase that keeps popping up in these classes in "on demand". Can you believe that a newborn baby will want to feed every two hours? I guess the sporadic sleep pattern that I have developed as the result of constant latrine visits is in preparation for what's to come. One of the highlights of our newborn class was that Bo Brady (for all of you Days of Our Lives fans) was in our class. Besides that, it's nice to meet other couples who are in the same waiting game as we are. Women with backs aching as bad as mine, swollen feet, changed sleep patterns, and the general desire to want to have the baby now!
So what have we learned so far? We have learned about developing a strong sense of trust between Maya and us...we are her lifesource and as long as she knows that she can depend on us for that, the rest will fall into place. Next week we start our Lamaze class and have our first Baby Signs class...we can't wait!

No comments: