Thursday, October 4, 2007

The Not-so-Dreaded Insulin Shot

http://www1.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview_approve/2989463/2/istockphoto_2989463_injection_4.jpgAfter visiting Dr. Kahen on Wednesday, she informed me that it was time to take the dreaded insulin shot. I had been really diligent about following a strict diet for my gestational diabetes, but in nearing the finish line, my body has been undergoing stress and the sugar is not metabolizing as efficiently. A high sugar count could lead to Maya gaining unnecessary weight and getting stressed out herself. Brad and I went to the pharmacy yesterday afternoon where they showed him how to administer the insulin. I am terrified of needles, let alone long needles, and this half-inch needle looked like it was a mile long. Brad calmed my fears and gave me my shot in the arm as we were watching Deal or No Deal. I didn't even know that he was done. No cold sweats, no jitters, and I actually had a peaceful sleep last night. When I woke up this morning, my sugar was well within range.

No comments: