Tuesday, October 9, 2007

First Visit to Labor and Delivery

Yesterday afternoon, while I was at work, I began to feel what felt like real contractions. It was difficult to get up and walk, my stomach felt really tight, and I had a pain that went from my back to the front of my stomach, to my knees and then all the way back. I also hadn't felt Maya move in about an hour, and per the No Stress Test instructions, I was to give my doctor a call. Dr. Kahen asked me to get to Tarzana Hospital and admit myself into Labor and Delivery for observation. Since the pain was somewhat bearable, I took it upon myself to drive down to the hospital (very silly...I now know that ) and on the way, let Brad know what was going on. Deep inside I felt that it was not Maya's time, but I was not comfortable with her not moving.
Nurse Terri was quite a ball of fun - she calmed down my nerves and suggested that we go ahead and monitor my contractions as well as Maya's heart beat. Maya's heart was strong, and with Brad glued to the monitor, he knew every time a contraction would come on. We got to practice our breathing, but my electronic-obsessed husband was most fascinated with the machines in the room. Our printout showed that I was having contractions about every three minutes, but they were of very low intensity. I could feel them, but from what I understand, the "real ones" will be "really felt". After monitoring Maya some more, we were discharged and on our way home.
After some sugarless chocolate chocolate chip ice cream from Baskin Robbins, I lay down and rested for the remainder of the evening. Maya is definitely making her readiness to be born, known.

No comments: