Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Taking the First Major Step to Getting Ready

Brad and I celebrated our first wedding anniversary on Sunday, August 12. It seems that we have known each other for a lifetime, and with Maya coming, it seems that we have been married longer than a year. We spent our weekend getting ready for Maya. Betty (Brad's Mom) has given us a maple cradle, the one that Brad used when he was born. I unfortunatley have nothing from my childhood (other than lessons and memories) that I can share with Maya, but I am glad that she will have something tangible from her Dad's childhood. Brad cleaned and varnished the cradle and we picked up a mattress from Babyland. Betty also got us some pretty pink bedding and we set everything up. The cradle is sitting in our bedroom and everytime I look at it, as I fall asleep, I imagine my little girl rocking away as she falls asleep. She will be the perfect child, and will sleep the proper amount of time, feed at the right time, and poop the right amount - how could she not...she's PERFECT!
On Sunday, we spent the afternoon shopping for immediate supplies at Target. Diapers, baby wash, lotion, socks, burp cloths, wash cloths, aspirator, thermometer, micro nail clippers. The nail clippers are what really floored me - they had a magnifying glass attached to them - I can imagine how small the finger and toe nails are for us to use a magnifying glass. I also purchased some items for my "hospital bag". I get this feeling in the pit of my tummy that Maya may come a little earlie than scheduled, and I just want to be prepared. In addition to the basic items she needs, Maya has a very stylish wardrobe building. She's got cute embroidered jeans with a matching brown top, couduroy pants with satin ribbons, a pretty pink sweater for a special holiday visit, a beautiful peach satin dress from Grandma Juliet, a Chinese pansuit from Dolla and Elson, jammies from Grandma Betty along with lots of little shirts, onesies from her Daddy and Mommy, and a pair of pink booties. I have seen such pretty shoes to match every outfit, but I am restraining myself until she's born - she may not even want to wear shoes at first - silly me, ofcourse she will!
Brad created some space in his bathroom for all of Maya's toiletries, and he has promised to start setting up the nursery during the Labor Day weekend - how appropriate.

No comments: